Tuesday 5 March 2013

To Grade Or Not To Grade?

Vocademy Grades are Launched!
Just in case you hadn't noticed, I like a Brighton based singing school quite a lot called Vocademy. Why do I like Vocademy? Well, I like the ethos for starters 'Teaching the World to sing one voice at a time' - it's just awesome! In addition to this, I love the fact that they aren't scared to throw lots of free things out there... kind of like yours truly. Their website has lots of videos, warm up packs, free tips and advice about singing and comes across as warm and friendly but still professional and an authority on all things singing.

Now, why have I started to discuss Vocademy? My reason is that they have just launched a new set of grades. Have they gone for an ABRSM or Guildhall approach? Maybe a Rockschool or Trinity College style? Nooooo! What Vocademy have done is devised and designed their own set of grades that bring these rather old systems a lot more up to date and give them a completely contemporary feel.

Similar to other graded systems out there the Vocademy syllabus runs from Grade 1 all the way through to Grade 8, with each grade further focusing, helping and assessing the student's progression. How these grades differ though is that the techniques are taught, learned and developed through learning songs by Jessie J, Ed Sheeran, Emili Sande and Bruno Mars. How cool is that!

As well as learning these songs from the perspective of becoming a stronger singer, the grades are designed to help students understand how their voice works and give them specific singing techniques to learn and practice.

Now, here's the crux... why would a rebellious soul like me who blows raspberries in the face of authority, sometimes will try to eat 3 Shredded Wheat and almost never washes out the bean tin before sticking it in the recycle bin endorse something as traditional and unexciting as exams and graded systems? I'll tell you why...

These grades are not only going to help you become a better singer, but they are FUN! And, that is what it should all be about. Learning music and singing technique through songs you like and would sing along to 'just because' is a fantastic way to breed the great new singers of tomorrow. If you can blur the lines between fun and learning you are always going to get better results because people will be doing something they 'actually' want to do! I used to go to piano lessons as a kiddie and because I was being taught music by Mozart and other composers who had been not of this planet for a gazillion years it felt like torture! Practicing in the week before each lesson was just extra homework! Pants!! So, I soon lost all enthusiasm and the piano lessons ceased. But, I can guarantee that if I was being taught riffs like 'The Final Countdown' (it really was cool in my day... honest!) or something else really cool :) I would have worn the keys out!

So, I say good on Vocademy for doing this! It's about time this kind of thing was done :)

Just as a side-note, I do like the idea of grades anyway, I think they provide a benchmark that you can say I now know this, or, I have achieved this level or recognition. It also gives you something to strive for and adds a little incentive to keep you going and practicing. So you see, I'm not at all really that rebellious I just like things to be done a bit differently and with a bit of excitement and passion.

Anyway, to find out more about Vocademy Grades check out the website.

Until next time.... nanu nanu :)

1 comment:

  1. Good luck, I really hope they take off and I'm pretty sure that it's something I would have loved to do myself when I was younger.

    ReplyDelete